Saturday 22 August 2009

Yes! I did my final thesis presentation!

Just two days ago (20 August 2009), I did my master thesis defense. And alhamdulillah, I got 9 for the thesis, which allows me to graduate with honor (cum laude). HUGE thanks to my supervisors Prof. Wil van der Aalst and Boudewijn van Dongen (daily tutor). I learn a lot of things in an enjoyable manner, which is something that I've never had before. Looking forward to work with both of you again in the next couple of months. Also thanks for Huub van de Wetering as one of the members of the examination commitee.

Thank you very much for all of my friends who came all the way to the presentation room (Seidelzaal, HG 5.95): Eko Setio (he's not even TU/e student! :p ), Joos Buijs (next van der Aalst? :D ), Grant (officially unemployed, Grant?), Diana (also M.Sc now :D ), Olimpia and Gioia (they came all the way from Italy for the presentation), Bung Adi Purwono, Agni, Ari Manik (thx for come by during your visit from Braunschweig ;) ), Jimmy, Amalia, Jian, Thijs, Babe Wayan, Erik, Carmen, JC, and other people that I haven't known (hope I'll know you all in the future!).

Thank you for the people who have helped me to prepare the presentation: Jimmy (I made major changes to the slide according to your suggestion, and it works!), Amalia (yess.. I remove several slides, Mal :D ), Samuel (thx for the advice with the pointing stick!), Diana, Andi Rusiawan, and Juan Diego. Without you all, I would be very nervous and shaky during the presentation :) Thx!

And of course... Mom and Dad, both of you mean a lot. Thank you for the never ending prayer. Sister Astrid, who often make your old brother smile with your ridiculuous acts :p Elva, for your great support along the way. Close friends: Merli, Chitra, and Rendy. Thx for accompanying me during the harsh time.. (and I believe you all know when). I couldn't make it without all of you. And of course, everyone that I can't mention one by one... Thanks a lot!!!

And look what I got after the presentation... tadaa! a special pen, only for special purpose :D thx a lot, Olimpia. You're such a great friend :) As you said, friends forever!



So, the cliche question would be, what's next?

Considering current world crisis, Indonesian economy, opportunities, and of course, my goal in life, I set my path to be an expert in process mining. Based on talks with Prof. Wil and few friends whose job are related to business process (I believe you know who you are! :P ), analysis to business process is commonly performed by mapping/comparing current business process to existing standards/best practices. While in my opinion, with current approach, quantified analysis is already possible and arguably yields better results. Moreover, I already see possible extensions of current approaches. I believe in the next 4 years, I can contribute something real to my own country, Indonesia, with my business-process-related knowledge. Wish me success everyone!

p.s. : Marhaban ya Ramadhan... everyone, please forgive all of my mistakes. Let's perform our best according to Allah's direction in this Ramadhan with a pure heart, so that we'll be free from sins in the end of this holy month.

7 comments:

Rheind said...

hiya bro, really great to know the news ! CONGRATZ !!

akhirnya beres juga ya ? alhamdulillah.. 2 taunnya ga sia2 bro, kerja kerasnya udah kebayar :D

jadi, langsung lanjut ke Doktor ? tapi lo balik dulu kan ?

arya said...

Thx Ren! berkat doa lo juga tuh.. :) InsyaAllah gw lanjut ke dokter, pulang dulu sampe Oktober. Well.. hope I can see you soon!

Rheind said...

dokter ? pasiennya sopo mas ? :P

nice to know that i could help, tapi doa itu urutannya setelah ikhtiar bro. so, ikhtiar lo berarti udah oke kan ? :D

sip de, ntar insya Allah sempet buka bareng di sini ;)

arya said...

pasiennya bos2 itu lho.. :p

siip dehhh! cu soon!

Unknown said...

Arya! congrats ya.. sayang banget kita nggak bisa nonton defense loe, soalnya masih di jakarta nih. pingin banget padahal.

pembimbing loe Wil vd Aalst toh?? wah itu salah satu profesor paling oke yang gue kenal. ntar PhD nya sama dia lagi kah? jadi banyak2 baca artikelnya Ana Karla Alves de Medeiros dong ya..

anyway, enjoy liburan loe ya. sampai ketemu lagi bulan oktober!

-ricky&dina-

arya said...

@Ricky: makasi mas Ricky! berkat doa semua juga. Iya, nanti bakal PhD sama van der Aalst.. artikel ceuceu Ana Karla pastinya bakal dibaca2 :p Tenkyu mas Ricky! Sampai ketemu!

Unknown said...

Gut to see you bro ! hehehe proficiat han ein mal hehehe